The future is here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The future is here.

So, I recently had an interesting case. I was visiting my bank and discovered that they installed ATM that are able to recognize you just by your face and you dont't need a plastic card. The bank also recorded my voice so that I can use their hotline. Needless to say of all that face recognizing unlock system on the smartfones.
    So what do you think, is the future already here? Aren't you affraid of "Big brother" watching every step you take? Or still prefer the old-fasioned way?

'big brother' already (tries to) track you anyway, no point worrying about that, heck it's what you pay them to do (taxes) sort of I usually worry how reliably such methods of identification are. You'd be surprised how many face recog. systems can be fooled by a photo and some lighting. Problem with face or voice id is that it's something that can be easily be obtained by someone else, taking a picture or recording is easy enough. I prefer anything related to banking to at least require something I can control better. That could be me being old fashioned I suppose

Btw. does that ATM still work for you with your new hair ??

Comment

Нана, they are just in the process of instaliing these new ATMs and creating the data base of clients' biometrics.
      As for me, for example, I don't even own a phone that has face recognition) So all this digital stuff is new to me. Are there such such systems existing in countries of the EU?
      All these reminds me of a movie called "In Time" where people had no ids and all the info was recorded on their wrists and they had to pay with time of their life.
      Last edited by kristiana; 11 March 2019, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Wow that's crazy! I haven't even heard of that. I've never seen one like this in Spain or the US. I agree with Frans that it doesn't sound as reliable as the regular way of just entering your PIN.

Comment

I watched this story on the PBS News Hour earlier this year about testing and use of implanted microchips that has been going on in Sweden. Before watching this story I had been aware this technology was a possibility, I had no idea that it was actually being actively tested and used. This technology raises a lot of interesting questions.

I was listening to another program last year discussing artificial intelligence in general and its potential benefits and threats. One of the guests made an interesting argument that it is not the technology itself that is inherently dangerous, but how the people using the technology decide to use it which determines whether it will be beneficial or dangerous. I try to be hopeful that the better side of human nature will prevail, but I find this technology worrisome considering past human history.

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
            I watched this story on the PBS News Hour earlier this year about testing and use of implanted microchips that has been going on in Sweden. Before watching this story I had been aware this technology was a possibility, I had no idea that it was actually being actively tested and used. This technology raises a lot of interesting questions.

I was listening to another program last year discussing artificial intelligence in general and its potential benefits and threats. One of the guests made an interesting argument that it is not the technology itself that is inherently dangerous, but how the people using the technology decide to use it which determines whether it will be beneficial or dangerous. I try to be hopeful that the better side of human nature will prevail, but I find this technology worrisome considering past human history.
            Hm, so all this leads me to conclusion that no matter in what era in history you live otlr what level of technological progress you have - people are people anyways. There have always been criminals and saint, creators and destroyers. And you are always given a chance on wich side to prefer...
            I think, I will stick somewhere in the middle(speaking of using the technology) and always be careful on what and how I use it - not dive completely into digital age and try to keep discovering this wonderful REAL world.

Comment

Oh my goodness, facial recognition on ATMs?? Here in little australia we're lucky to even get a download speed of 20 mps

I remember doing research on the big brother conspiracies. Truthfully I don't believe our plain old lives are worth a whole lot to the government other than statistics, I imagine most of their spying is done through means we are unaware of! I don't think facial recognition is something to be too worried about; unless you're a millionaire ^_^

Comment

There is also a film called Snowden 2016 wich almost trully (almost, because I don`t beleive that everything shown in film is true) describes how gevernment is spying on us via web cameras installed in our computers. The topic of spying is one of the most favourite in science-fiction genre, there are also some good episodes in the Black mirror, that was already discussed here on boards.

Comment

If you want to become paranoid about surveillance or others controlling your life, watch https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Truman_Show A serious role for Jim Carrey even, quite rare.

Come to think of it, reading the article might spoil the movie a tiny bit (the first few minutes only though, as the viewer you know much more than Jim Carrey's character)

Comment

Originally posted by Frans View Post
                    If you want to become paranoid about surveillance or others controlling your life, watch https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Truman_Show A serious role for Jim Carrey even, quite rare.

Come to think of it, reading the article might spoil the movie a tiny bit (the first few minutes only though, as the viewer you know much more than Jim Carrey's character)
                    Luckily, I have alteady watched The Truman Show and it is a masterpiece! As well as Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind. I am a big fan of Jim Carrey since my cildhood) I hope that I don`t create a feeling that I am paranoid about surveillance, I am not. Just curious how technology is changing our life.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                    Working...
                    X