Hobbies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hobbies

Howdy there! I'm wondering what everyones' hobbies are, and if there's any story behind discovering them?

I recently moved to a new state, so I guess I'm trying to steal some of your hobby ideas for myself hehehe.

I currently enjoy philosophy, video games, and shopping

Hi Casey! That`s a nice thread to chat in. My most favourite hobbies include extreme sports : snowboarding, kitesurfing and motorcycles, but as long as those hobbies are occasional and money-consuming I sometimes prefer more calm and practical activities such as sewing, drawing and nail design)

Comment

Originally posted by kristiana View Post
      Hi Casey! That`s a nice thread to chat in. My most favourite hobbies include extreme sports : snowboarding, kitesurfing and motorcycles
      Oh my goodness I wish I had half the guts to do that! I'd love to ride motorcycles but my last memory is crashing into the back of my dad's truck head first on a little p50 haha!

Speaking of sewing I actually just sewed my first ever button on my new jacket and oh boy am I proud of myself!

Comment

Hi Casey,

I think I have a fresh perspective about that for you. Recently I have moved into a new place too, and I remember at the begining, I was chasing everything I could get that involved comunity so I can spend some time I had after my new job hours:
        Ideas:
        - sign to local meetups: this is a small city where I live, so anny gathering apps like "meetup" won't work, but there are some facebook groups around each small town area which gather arond and do expeditions or draw or do lecture sessions sometimes.... I only went to a hill climbing meeting and it was fun,I didnt bound any strong relation ship, most of the crew were over 35 and with families....but still, fun time, not in the house.
        - buy a bicycle: and explore! having time in a new city to explore its awesome, so if you know how to ride a bike thats double win, sport and exploring the neighbourhoods.
        - volonteer : Now, I am giving drawing lessons to a culture center, because I did this all my life, but everyone is skilled to something, sure you can help some people out and get a satisfaction feeling of that.
        - find a local church: spending a few hours on sunday at the local church can give you a sense of community, even if you are not interacting much, by time, people would ask about you and mak you feel good around there/ I used to go to a monastery once a month for the sunday priest speak, now I donate clothes to them and sometimes I speak with old ladies around there about weather, family sometimes about work.
        So here it is, my list of spending some free time, Hope it helps!

ANd btw @Kristiana having frisky nail design I like it, I think it always brings a good attention from people and also makes you feel good, who doesn't likes nice manecure?!?! hihi

Comment

Originally posted by casey_q View Post
          A classic song for all philosophy fans.

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
            A classic song for all philosophy fans.
            -We consider american beer is like making love in a canoe.
            -Making love in a canoe?
            -It's f*cking close to water

Comment

Originally posted by Andreea View Post
              Hi Casey,

I think I have a fresh perspective about that for you. Recently I have moved into a new place too, and I remember at the begining, I was chasing everything I could get that involved comunity so I can spend some time I had after my new job hours:
              Ideas:
              - sign to local meetups: this is a small city where I live, so anny gathering apps like "meetup" won't work, but there are some facebook groups around each small town area which gather arond and do expeditions or draw or do lecture sessions sometimes.... I only went to a hill climbing meeting and it was fun,I didnt bound any strong relation ship, most of the crew were over 35 and with families....but still, fun time, not in the house.
              - buy a bicycle: and explore! having time in a new city to explore its awesome, so if you know how to ride a bike thats double win, sport and exploring the neighbourhoods.
              - volonteer : Now, I am giving drawing lessons to a culture center, because I did this all my life, but everyone is skilled to something, sure you can help some people out and get a satisfaction feeling of that.
              - find a local church: spending a few hours on sunday at the local church can give you a sense of community, even if you are not interacting much, by time, people would ask about you and mak you feel good around there/ I used to go to a monastery once a month for the sunday priest speak, now I donate clothes to them and sometimes I speak with old ladies around there about weather, family sometimes about work.
              So here it is, my list of spending some free time, Hope it helps!

ANd btw @Kristiana having frisky nail design I like it, I think it always brings a good attention from people and also makes you feel good, who doesn't likes nice manecure?!?! hihi
              Thats a good advice for those new in town, or even if you don't change a place of living but just got bored and frustrated. Getting yourself in any kind of interest club reeally gives that feelin' of community that all of us have traction for.
              I ve participated in a various kinds of interest groups starting from a dancing club when I was younger, than climbers, tourists, hitch-hikkers, Japan lovers, rock fans, snowboarders, bikers, surfers csme along. And our wonderfull AW community of course
              Taking part in live of a community helps you find some good friends and doesn't alow you to feel lonely.

Speaking of nails - yeah, there are always some little things that make us ladies feel more confident and attractive and bring more joy to this World

Comment

WOW, Kristiana did tried lots of stuf for fun, surfer and snowboarders in the dame place? ( waves and Snow , beach-baruri and mountains)

What was your fav activityyy doing it for the first time!?

Comment

The fun fact here is that snowboarding was invented somewhere in the 80's by surfers who missed the waves in winter! It was first called Snurfing(snow surfing) and first sniwboards were wooden, shaped like smaller surf boards and had no bindings on them. Furthermore, first snurfers were not allowed on the slopes of Alps resorts as they were considered dangerous for skiers.
                  So we can come to the conclusion that every body ridding any kind of boards - snowboarders, surfers, wind surfers, skaters, longboarders, kite surfers are all friends And here I am riding ma snowboard this winter season Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190112_185417.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	650285

Comment

What were you doing on the snowboard to pull that face?? Or was this after apres-ski drinks??

Comment

Dear Frans, I don`t drink alcohol in any kind. I consider that extreme sports and alcohol are incompatible together. However, I often found myself feeling inebriate from positive emotions of joy - this often happens to me when im in the mountains. So on that picture I was just making face, showing how happy I am.

And what makes you happy?)

Comment

Hi Casey,

Andreea thank you so much! I've been contemplating volunteering for awhile so I think I will inquire about it later today at a second hand store. As for local meetups, it doesn't quite count but I'm going to a goth club in two days to hopefully meet some groovy people! In fact here is my groovy dress which I'm quite proud of buying. (dress)https://screenshotscdn.firefoxuserco...c719e9af06.png

Comment

That dress looks amazing, Casey! I know you'll be a big hit at the goth club.

Comment

A love that dark lolita style dress of yours, Casey! I was surprised that goth clubs still exist, they were really popular somewhere in 2007s, I guess. How long have you been fond of goth culture?

Comment

Originally posted by kristiana View Post
                              How long have you been fond of goth culture?
                              Heyo Kristiana, I've always been fond of goth culture; from wanting to be a scene kid when I was a teenager, and always in awe of their fantastic style. This was my first time going to a goth event, and it was amazing! This was my completed look Click image for larger version

Name:	61722394_603857253459387_7596963235773808640_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	650371

Unfortunately, I only went for about an hour. I ended up getting waaaay too drunk and oh boy was I a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by casey_q View Post
                                Howdy there! I'm wondering what everyones' hobbies are, and if there's any story behind discovering them?

I recently moved to a new state, so I guess I'm trying to steal some of your hobby ideas for myself hehehe.

Chess, Coin collecting, Reading, Travel, History. So... nerd/geek.

Comment

Chess is something very nice, I did not know why they call it a mind sport, but I had a girl pal who was playing chess and she had an incredible sense of humour and also observation: from jokes with the chess moves to helping us to be free of others oppinions and do as we feel.
                                  So I think chess is an amazing hobby, I wish I would learn it!

Comment

Chess is something very nice, I did not know why they call it a mind sport, but I had a girl pal who was playing chess and she had an incredible sense of humour and also observation: from jokes with the chess moves to helping us to be free of others oppinions and do as we feel.
                                    So I think chess is an amazing hobby, I wish I would learn it!
                                    It's not hard to learn! And it stimulates the mind. Well worth it.

Comment

I have numerous hobbies, but my main hobby is ham radio. While that may sound boring to a lot of people, keep in mind that, when a disaster strikes, like we've seen in recent years, when all other forms of communications are down, ham radio always gets through. The reason for that is that, ham radio operators have their own methods of emergency back up power, be it, batteries, generators, solar, whatever. (I have battery back up power.) I am my radio club's secretary, and as such, I try to make it a point to know which of my club members have emergency back up power, just in case of an emergency. I am also a member of HEARS (Hospital Emergency Amateur Radio Service), as well as Skywarn, and ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Services). Skywarn is a group of dedicated hams that give weather reports to a central control operator, as to the weather conditions in their area. These weather conditions help rescue operations determine which areas that they can safely perform their rescue operations in.

I have been a ham operator for 54 years, and I have always participated in whatever simulated disaster events that I was able to make it to. As a ham operator, I feel that I have an obligation to my community to help my community, whenever I can, and by that I mean, by providing radio communications to the outside world, should the local communications go down (cell phone towers and landlines). My handle, Dekoda, simply is derived from the word decoder, and by that I mean, I can send and receive Morse Code, which is a form of "decoding."

My ham radio station that I have set up in my house, allows me to communicate with local hams on the 2-meter band (144-148 Mhz), as well as hams all over the world on the HF (high frequency) bands. I have chatted with hams all over the world, using my HF radio, which only has 100 watts of power. You don't need a lot of power on the HF bands, if you want to communicate with people in other countries.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention this in this thread....oh, and among my other hobbies is astronomy. I have a high end telescope, that I haven't been able to use in the last few years because of my bad back. This telescope is a Meade LX 200, 12 inch, Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope, that I bought a number of years ago, and it is not a toy. This telescope was a good bargain when I bought it, because Meade put it on sale for $1,000 less than their normal price, so I decided to buy it. The base of this telescope has a built in computer, that allows you to track whatever celestial body that you want to track.

Anyway, I won't go into all of the accessories that I bought for this telescope, but, well, it's well over $6,000, and they are all worth it. Maybe when I can stand up for more than 5 minutes without my back hurting, I'll roll this telescope out and begin to use it again. Seeing the Horse Head and the Dumb Bell Nebula, well, that's really exciting, plus, the astronomy camera that I bought for the telescope, will allow me to take pictures of these amazing astronomy observances.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                      Working...
                                      X