Suggest a film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggest a film

Hi, wonderfull citizens of Abbyland. I often find myself not knowing what film to watch and spending a bunch of time reading the descriptions instead of actual watching. I guess some of you might have the same problem. I know you guys are smart and have a good taste so it would be great to hear some suggestions from you.

P.S. For me, some of the best masterpieces of cinematography include : Leon the killer, Some like it hot, Charlie Chaplin series and Spirit (the cartoon).

Oh Kristiana, I love movies and could talk about them all day long! For starters, I'll note that there was similar discussion on Maddie's thread a few months ago, which generated a long list of fantastic movie suggestions. You can get some great ideas on there!

I so much that you're into older movies, too! I'm not *that* old at 39, but I feel like it's fairly rare to meet people my age or younger who are interested in movies from over 50 or 60 years ago, so that's lovely to hear from you. Some Like It Hot is definitely one of my favorites as well: so hilarious, with the greatest last line in the history of movies. The writer-director Billy Wilder was so proud of it he put it on his tombstone, hehe. I'd highly recommend just about any of Wilder's other movies: he is a genius. Some of them are as comedies, but probably darker than like Some Like It Hot, including The Apartment and Stalag 17, and some are serious, brilliant dramas like Double Indemnity and Sunset Boulevard. I could go on, but that's a start.

Charlie Chaplin is great as well. I'd never seen any of his movies until a few years ago when I made a point to watch everything on the American Film Institute's list of the 100 Best American Movies, and I'm so glad I did. That's another source of great movie-watching ideas, just about everything on the list is fantastic. I leave you there, but I'm sure others will have more ideas, and when you need more suggestions, you know where to find me.

Comment

Dear massfan, thank you for the quick reply and that you are always being here with some good advice. The simple and meaningful qoute that is voiced in the end of Some like it Hot and the beautiful scene and act play of Joe E. Brown is defenitely what conquered my heart and made me love that film so much. The old movies are the different world for me as I am a millenial and have absolutely no idea of how it was in 50`s. I think peolpe lived more simple but yet happier lives that days. Thanks for the top 100 list - I definitely have films to watch this evening and far more free evenings ahead)))

Comment

Originally posted by kristiana View Post
        Leon the killer
        The Jean Reno & Natalie Portman classic "Leon, the Professional"? Yeah that is an excellent classic

Indeed nowadays it is so easy to search and add film to your list, but then there is not enough time to watch at least a decent percentage of it.

Some of my masterpieces would be Forrest Gump (recently rewatched it like after 15 years), Logan, Her, and Mad Max: Fury Road

Although last few years mostly shifted to TV shows. But this summer after Game of Thrones has concluded, should have more time for new movies or some unwatched Classics.

Comment

Originally posted by dropshop View Post
          The Jean Reno & Natalie Portman classic "Leon, the Professional"? Yeah that is an excellent classic
          Hi, dropshop! I looked through the message again and realized it was a translation misconseption. See, the thing is in my language they usually call it "Leon the killer" so I just translated the name of the film verbatim rather rhan searching for it`s original name in English. But yet, we understood each other and still mean the same good old movie)
          By the way, I am just fond of learning English and looking out for some interesting wordplay and idioms. The way how our translators like to name foreign movies is a separate theme for jokes) For example : the took the original name "Inception"(wich is one of the good films by the way) and translated it as "The start" to our language and what`s more, the "Die hard" is well known as a "Hard nut" in my country)))

Comment

Indeed, from time to time for some reasons they change the names. Die Hard in German is Stirb langsam, which translates to Die Slowly.

Comment

You're very welcome for the movie recommendations, Kristiana. Happy watching! Great suggestions, dropshop. I'm always intrigued by how movie titles get translated. Foreign films released in the U.S. often have titles here that are very different from what they are in the original language. I'll try to think of some examples.

Originally posted by kristiana View Post
              The simple and meaningful qoute that is voiced in the end of Some like it Hot and the beautiful scene and act play of Joe E. Brown is defenitely what conquered my heart and made me love that film so much.
              Reading this made me smile so big! What a lovely way of describing the end of the movie.

Comment

One of my favorite movies I would recommend if you haven't seen it is Whale Rider. The movie received a lot of critical acclaim during its original run (including an Oscar nomination for Keisha Castle Hughes in her first movie role), but it has been 17 years since its release and I'm not sure how well the movie is known these days. The movie is a modern retelling of the Maori legend of Paikea and tells the story of an 11 year old girl who is the granddaughter of the chief of a small coastal village.

The movie is quietly beautiful in every aspect: the writing, the acting, the music, and the cinematography. There's a particularly beautifully scene near the beginning of the movie where you see Koro (played by Rawiri Paratene) bringing Paikea home from school with her perched on the handlebars of his bicycle while they roll through the village by the shore. It's almost like watching them move through a painting or through a dream and tells so much about their love for each other without a word being spoken.

One other thing I love about the movie is it is was filmed in the village that was the setting for the novel the film is based on. All of the extras and even some of the smaller speaking roles were played by actual residents of the village.
                Last edited by trebor; 26 March 2019, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by massfan3 View Post
                  Charlie Chaplin is great as well. I'd never seen any of his movies until a few years ago when I made a point to watch everything on the American Film Institute's list of the 100 Best American Movies, and I'm so glad I did. That's another source of great movie-watching ideas, just about everything on the list is fantastic.
                  So many great movies on this list, thanks for sharing! It was interesting looking at the list of movies that were added and removed when the list was revised in 2007, it is interesting how the perception of movies can change over time. There were a few movies I love both on the removed list (Dances with Wolves and Fargo) and on the added list (All the President's Men and the Shawshank Redemption).

Comment

I love Some Like It Hot too!

For old classic movies, Charade is one of my favorites, and also Arsenic and Old Lace. I am a sucker for Cary Grant.

I also want to second dropshop's recommendation of Her.

I watched a bunch of movies on my transatlantic flight and I didn't really like any of them :/ (Beautiful Boy and The Favourite were ok, A Star is Born - bleh, 'Destination Wedding' was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.)

Last good movie I saw is still Call Me By Your Name.

Comment

I'm glad you liked the Top 100 list, Trebor! Watching everything on it was a really fun, several-months-long project. I ended up seeing a lot of things I always meant to see, and there only ended up being a few that I really didn't care for. It does seem sort of random which movies were removed and which were added in the revision. I watched all 123 that appear on one list or the other, and they're all pretty great. I was kind of hoping they'd do a 20th anniversary list in 2017, but no dice. The magazine Sight & Sound does a "Ten Greatest Films of All Time" poll every 10 years, which is another interesting way of seeing how the perception of movies changes over time. I've seen many of the movies on there, but not all of them. Maybe some day.

Cary Grant is definitely fantastic, Renae! Just there sheer volume of great movies he was in is kind of staggering. I think my favorite of his is His Girl Friday. As a journalist, I think it's one of the best movies about journalism.

Comment

I thought that I'd revive this thread. I have many movies that I like, and looking at movies listed in the link of 100 Best Movies, I have most of those movies. One movie that I doubt that anyone here has watched, has two different titles, depending on where you live. It's call, "All Mine To Give", or "The Day They Gave Babies Away." There isn't anyone who can watch this movie and not shed a few tears. It's a really good story, with a lot of heartwarming scenes, but if you watch it, it will be the saddest movie that you will ever watch. I lent it to my mother some years ago, and I told her that it would be the saddest movie that she ever watched, and when I saw her again, she gave it back to me and said, "Don't you EVER give me a movie like that again! I went through a whole box of Kleenex watching it!" But later, she did admit that she liked it, even though it was sad.

I also like The Shawshank Redemption...Medicine Man...The Grapes of Wrath...The Silence of the Lambs...The Great Escape...The Bridge On The River Kwai...Avatar, but I saw that one in the movie theater in 3-D, and it was spectacular! Anyway, I don't want to go on too long, which I seem to always do, so I'll stop here. Considering that I have about 2500 movies, not including 650 movies that I bought on VCR tape, which I need to throw out, I could make a really long list.

Comment

The Shawshank Redemption is a spectacular movie. The score Thomas Newman wrote for the movie is one of my favorites, subtle and unique. There are so many memorable scenes and stunning visuals in the movie: tarring the roof, Mozart in the prison yard, the Brooks vignette (and the reprise by Red), the glorious tree in the hay field, and the closing sweeping shot of the bus the sea and the beach. I will have to watch this again soon, it has been awhile since I have seen the movie.

Comment

Particular favourites of mine not already mentioned... The Killing Fields, Deliverance, Heartbreak Ridge, and for a bit of light relief, The Life Of Brian, Stir Crazy, Blazing Saddles. It could be said I have an unusual taste in films...

Comment

​​Instead of asking for a suggestion about a good movie I would prefer to ask for an advice on how to find spare time for watching all these lists of wonderful creations by the most talented directors from all over the world...
                              But recently I have made a good thing of finally watching a film after a long period of busy days.
                              And the one I watched impressed me a lot so i think it is worth sharing. It is an animation movie made in cooperation of Japanese creators and Netflix it's called A Whisker away and as many of Japanese anime s do, this one is not only cute, but it is meaningful, has beautiful picture and a lovely story.
                              It includes elements of Japanese folk and traditional gods and spirits and is simply pleasant to watch. It shows such tender story of first love that I even have had my eyes wet remembering the experience of my own first kiss and excitement of first expression of my feelings to the love of my younger days...
                              Totally recommend this story if your not affraid to touch the deepest and the most tender strings of your heart

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                              Working...
                              X