Experiences with Satellite broadband

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experiences with Satellite broadband

I mentioned this in another thread. Maybe some of you have done one of these and could mention your experiences? Skyway, DirecTV, Wild Blue, Starband, DataStorm and/or ??

Originally posted by BigSpud

Actually, maybe I will solicit experiences with Satellite based broadband from the members here.

Thanks,

Spud

Never tried it myself, but from what I hear the latency is awful. Also, there's the question of still needing an uplink, which is usually over a phone line.

Still, if you can't get DSL or cable where you are now, then I guess you don't have much choice

Comment

Actually, there are satellite systems requiring no phone line. 2way systems have to be installed professionally because there is a transmitter involved.

I have a neighbor with DirecWay and they don't like it. I have used it and briefly and wasn't crazy about the speed considering the $100 per month for the first year to pay for the equipment. I think it drops to like $70 after that. I was wondering if any other vendors were better or worse.

Comment

I think broadband availability should have been a criteria for chosing your new home.

Lxm

Comment

I'm with Luxman. Ditch the family and get broadband.

Comment

Originally posted by Luxman
            I think broadband availability should have been a criteria for chosing your new home.

Lxm
            It was, but not for very long.

Comment

Comcast offers good broadband for about $44 per month (intro for 6 mos is about 29) and you dont have to worry about rain storm blackouts with satelite

and you can take advantage of better quality video offerings with broadband, you can download large files in minimal time

its so much better than dial up (costs about twice as much as dial up assuming you have a second dedicated phone line)

Comment

Unfortunately, Comcast has no services in my area according to their website.

Comment

Then maybe you should try satellite!

Comment

Originally posted by arsby
                    Then maybe you should try satellite!
                    Are you familiar with the song "There's a Hole in the Bucket"?

It is a good thing I am patient!

Comment

Don't know why you'd bother with satellite when there's this.

Comment

Originally posted by willow
                        Don't know why you'd bother with satellite when there's this.
                        Based on your post, I have signed up. After I gave them my CC info, I got the instructions (in Hebrew!). Oh well, it was a good idea.

Thanks and you are right no need for satellite.

Comment

Originally posted by BigSpud
                          Based on your post, I have signed up. After I gave them my CC info, I got the instructions (in Hebrew!). Oh well, it was a good idea.
                          Well, if it doesn't work out for you, you can always use the components for something else

Comment

Originally posted by willow
                            Well, if it doesn't work out for you, you can always use the components for something else
                            ROTF-LMAO

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                            Working...
                            X