Poll discussion: White Balance Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Abby View Post
    With half our customers using one white point, and the other half using another, around half our customers are seeing our images looking appalling. Sucks, but there's nothing we can do.
    Have you considered creating a page that assists users in adjusting their monitor settings? I Googled adjust monitor white point and found these pages with test-pattern graphics and advice on how to use them.

Are things looking murky? Maybe you need to calibrate your monitor!

Comment

Originally posted by Abby View Post
      unfortunately, not, Rob.

With half our customers using one white point, and the other half using another, around half our customers are seeing our images looking appalling. Sucks, but there's nothing we can do.

We're now balancing for 6500k, for what it's worth.
      My LCD monitor [Philips] says 9300 for CAD/CAM, 6500 for Image Management

Comment

I agree with NOT switching. Switching guarantees that 100% of users will see either older or recent images at the wrong color balance. By leaving it at 9300K everybody CAN set the proper balance for all images.

Comment

I think 6500 is pretty standard for images. 9300 is way on the blue end of the scale, and it'll make most images (except for ones that have been specifically balanced for that colour temperature) look pretty unpleasant (unless you have a thing for smurfs).

Comment

I've just checked my CRT pre-press monitor and it's set to 9300.
            I must say it's an adjustment that I like.

It matches the pictures very well.

Lxm

Comment

Somehow, I think we must be missing something here. Apropos this chat, I followed some links offered above and some links from those and, somewhere, read that most monitors are, indeed, at that higher, "bluish" setting. I have to wonder, no more than I know on this subject, whether it is possible to then take the "bluish" monitor and adjust it, still while at that standard temperature setting, to simply offset the tint through other levels of color balancing.

(Or, vice-versa!)

Hard to believe that two of us could look, side-by-side at the same images on the same website and be happy to see such different skin-tones!

I have to say that the "newbies", just above, have a point!

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
              Working...
              X